Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hope fulfilled.

The most important day of current 4th year medical students' lives was about 3 weeks ago, March 19th 2009. It is a day that is more important than graduation, and a day that generates much anticipation from students, even from the very first day of medical school. Match Day. It is a day where we learn the location of our residency, where we will spend the next 3-5 years and where we will continue our medical training. On Match Day, we discover if all our studying and efforts over the last 4 years have paid off. I woke up on this morning both excited and nervous. But mostly nervous. Not because I was worried about being matched in a respected program where I would learn and excel. I loved many of the programs I had interviewed at and ranked, and knew that I would be happy wherever I matched. And I trusted (or was trying very hard to trust) that the Lord was in control and wherever He wanted me to be, I would go and serve. But, I was also afraid that where I wanted to go might not line up with where God wanted me to be and where I had set my hopes on.

Well, my heart was truly set on staying in Greenville. I have been here for two years and have made a home for myself. I love the city, the art, the culture, the outdoors. I love being close to the mountains and close to my family. I love the residency program, the hospital, the faculty, and current residents. My personality fits with the program. I also love my church here in Greenville. For the first time since high school, I have joined a church in which I feel like I am truly part of a community where I can fellowship and serve with genuine, sincere folks who also want to love and serve God and each other. And very importantly, my beau is here, and after almost 6 months of being together, I cannot imagine living in a place where he is not.

As the time approached for the ceremony to begin, I was becoming increasingly nervous. There were 3 others in my class who all wanted to stay in the Greenville pediatrics program. And while we were all assured from the directors that they would love to have us all stay, I still wasn't comfortable. The ceremony continued, and I naturally was forced to wait until near the end for my name to be randomly drawn from the hat. By the time my name was called, the other 3 had already shared they would be staying in Greenville. I was afraid that I would not be staying. Despite my fears, and futile attempts of trusting the Lord's sovereignty, I am so excited to say that I will be staying in Greenville for at least 3 more years. When I read and announced to the rest of my class that I matched in Greenville, I was so happy and focused on the fact that I was staying that I did not even hear the cheers, and the rest of the day is a bit of blur. I do remember immediately sending Adam a message telling him that I had matched in Greenville. I also remember seeing my father waiting for me as I walked back to my seat. Waiting to give me a giant hug and tell me how proud he was and how happy that I would be staying close. I am so thankful that I can stay in a town that I love, with the family and boy I love close by, and a church that I can fellowship and love God with. Hurray.

No comments:

Post a Comment